Thursday 18 June 2020

During lockdown ...


I made some masks for myself (well I do have a lot of fabric...).  They've now been through the washing machine a few times and aren't ironed so are looking a bit rumpled. 

One modelled by Ted:

And the others: one with elastic ear ties and the other with hair elastics (the third doesn't have ties yet).  The tied elastic you can cut to the right length and insert after the mask is sewn but the hair elastics have to be sewn into the mask while you're making it, plus you need to adjust the width of the mask so that it fits your face/ears (because the hair elastics aren't adjustable).

 
The masks are double layered and open at both sides so that a liner can be inserted (another piece of fabric or some interfacing - fortunately I found some at home so haven't needed to buy anything apart from the hair elastics).  I also attached a channel over the bridge of the nose so that wire can be inserted.

The pattern is a combination of these two:

1. from the Project Protect instructions (I like that it's cut on the fold along the nose so is actually one piece of fabric).  There's a pdf of instructions.

2. from TheCraftyQuilter.com.  Instructions on the page and also as a pdf.

I combined the cut-on-the-fold technique from the first pattern and the side construction of the second pattern to allow for inserting a filter.  The second pattern has a channel for a nose wire but I prefer to add another piece of fabric to give more padding.  It took four iterations before I got a version that best fits my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment